HOME ABOUTINTERIORSRECIPESBEAUTYPRINTABLESTUTORIALS SHOPFEATURED

HOMEMADE MARINARA FROM FRESH TOMATOES

One of my favorite parts off Autumn is harvesting our garden. We had some early frost warnings so a lot of our tomatoes were picked early, most were still green. I tried letting them ripen up in a bowl last year, but learned they do better in boxes and paper bags. So this year we corrected our error, and had a bounty of tomatoes all at once. We diced some for salads, made a round of Ketchup, and ate tomato-filled foods for a week- I am surprised I haven't turned into a tomato, seriously like Violet Beauregarde from Willy Wonka turning into a blueberry.

But we still had 7 huge tomatoes left and they were on the brink of getting too soft. Usually if something was about to rot, I would throw it in the worm composting bin but we stopped feeding them so we could transition them to winter. (More on that next week)   I couldn't stand wasting them, and I wasn't about to dive into the deep abyss really homemaker-ey moms call vegetable canning, NO, not over 7 measly tomatoes. Long story short, I made this marinara sauce, and it was so good, beyond good even. You can actually taste the flavors, it was so easy that I will never buy the canned stuff again. Seriously, your mouth is gonna be like, WHAT?!



Ingredients
6-8 large tomatoes, chopped
2 small onions, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
1/2 T fresh basil
1/2 T fresh thyme
1/2 T fresh oregano
salt and pepper to taste



Directions
Chop the onions and garlic and saute in a sauce pan. When those have caramelized stir in  chopped tomatoes. Incorporate the fresh herbs. Let the sauce simmer stirring occasionally, the water from the tomatoes will cook off and you will be left with a thick, hearty sauce.

No comments: